Approval Criteria of outdoor events are based on:
- Alignment with Granville Island as an artistic and cultural destination; and mandate to support innovative, unique and creative artistic events.
- Accessibility and Engagement; event enhances social connection, encourages participation, and/or champions diversity and inclusion.
- Availability of space and/or administrative support: approval of an event will also depend on capacity for CMHC to provide administrative support for the event.
- Extent to which the event competes with or impacts existing tenants and day-to-day activity and business on Granville Island, and potential benefits to existing Granville Island businesses and community.
- Capacity of event organizer to fulfill the Terms and Conditions for event planning. Applicant must be in good standing.
Outdoor Activations Not Permitted on Granville Island:
- Sales of goods and services without a current leasing or licensing agreement with CMHC Granville Island. Exceptions may apply, if the proposed goods or services are needed as an essential component of the event proposal. (See our Leasing page for general information.)
- Promotions, including sampling or sample distribution, coupon distribution, free services, gifts, and promotional materials (flyers, booklets, etc.) for corporate or commercial business interests.
- Public spaces may not be used for events that are primarily retail or commercial focused, such as pop- up markets, promotional events, fundraisers, product launches etc.
Timeline: Individuals and organizations that wish to hold an event at outdoor locations on Granville Island must complete an application and submit it to the Public Affairs and Programming Department, with sufficient lead time for review and processing.
Small to medium sized, single-day events utilizing only one location: Apply a minimum of eight weeks prior to the event. Ideal lead time 3-6 months.
Larger events that are multi-day and/or utilize a variety of locations: Apply a minimum of 6 months before the event date. Ideal lead time 8-12 months.
If you have any questions during any part of the process, or want to learn more before applying, please contact our Event Coordinators at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-666-6655
- Please review the Granville Island Outdoor Events Terms & Conditions
- Complete the Outdoor Events Application
- Our team reviews the application based on our timeline as stated above. We will reach out if we have any questions.
- If your event is conditionally approved, here’s a helpful checklist for the next steps in planning.